Asian black bear
- other names: moon bear or white chested bear
- height: 2m
- weight: 50 to 200kg
- weight at birth: 220g
- Reproduction: April to June. The female is sexually mature around 3-4 years old. The cubs are born between December and March.
- Feeding: it is mostly vegetarian (nuts, berries, seeds) but it can also eat insects, small mammals, birds, carrions, lamb, veal, poney…
- Characteristics: white moon shaped patch on the chest. Fur short and slick, apart from on its shoulder and neck where it’s longer. Its English name comes from the white patch on the chest while the French name comes from the longer fur on its neck.
- Habitat: North of Asia, from Iran to the Japanese islands, including Tibet, Manchuria, Myanmar and Laos.
- Population: no estimation
- Status IUCN: vulnerable
- Life expectancy: 20 years
Update on 06/21/2016:
104 wristbands sold – 641,80 € collected
Partner organisation: Animals Asia for its fight against bear farms.
Animals Asia, a unique foundation in the world to put an end to the hell of “bile farms”
Animals Asia was founded by Jill Robinson in 1998 and has gained an international renown by the extents of its actions particularly for the bears, but also by catching authorities and populations attention about the cruel fate of cats and dogs. Jill Robinson is internationally recognized as the first specialist of the bear bile industry, after having campaigned against it since 1993.
Animals Asia struggle to put an end to the barbaric practice of the bear bile trade and to improve the welfare of animals in China and Vietnam. We further compassion and respect for all animals and we are working to make changes in a long term.
OUR WORK: to put an end to the bear bile trade
- Animals Asia is working to put an end to the inhumanity of bear bile trade, which concerns more than 10,000 bears – mostly Moon bears tortured in bile farms in China, and about 2400 in Vietnam.
- Animals Asia is working to put an end to the trade of dogs and cats for food in China, and campaigns to improve the welfare of pets and to promote the management of the animal population.
- Animals Asia has organised a campaign to put an end to the abusive practices against animals in zoos and parks in China, and works closely with the administrative authorities to improve the management of animals and increase the awareness about welfare of animals in captivity.
ANIMALS ASIA FRANCE: an ambitious and dynamic support group
The Animals Asia French support group sets objectives: to pass the actions in favor of Asian bears exploited for their bile in authentic places of torture, but also to help the dogs and cats in Asia reduced to being consumer goods. We want to inform the French public of the animal condition in Asia and to generate compassion to make change the minds. We fall in the editorial line of the Foundation : respect of people and their culture, cooperation with the authorities, share of knowledge in ethology and animal welfare. The French group was created in 2011 and has more than 120 members today located throughout the French territory. We are fundraisers for the Foundation.
Michèle Jung in charge of the French group: 06 19 02 60 19